Workshop on “Integrability in Gauge and String Theory”
24 – 28 June 2006
Max-Planck-Institut für Gravitationsphysik
The last three years have seen significant progress in applying the methods of integrable systems to cutting-edge problems in gauge and string theory, and in particular to the AdS/CFT correspondence. It is exciting to observe that the relevant structures (spin chains, Yang-Baxter symmetry, Yangians, R- and S-matrices, models of strongly correlated electrons, integrable sigma models, etc.) now appear in a rather different field of theoretical physics. This promises to maybe lead, for the first time, to exact solvability for a four-dimensional gauge theory, and for a superstring in a curved background. The potential benefits for our understanding of gauge field theories and of strings cannot be underestimated. We find it furthermore likely that the emergent, novel structures will also inspire new avenues of research into the general field of integrability, and maybe even into condensed matter physics.
It is the purpose of this workshop to bring together active researchers in this field, and specialists in gauge theory, string theory, and condensed matter theory. The idea is to assess the status quo of this rather novel topic, and to create motivation and inspiration for future research. We also aim to foster communication between theorists of seemingly far-apart disciplines.
The program will include overview talks on relevant aspects of gauge, string and condensed matter theory. It will furthermore attempt to reflect latest developments, and allow plenty of time for discussions. In order to achieve these goals, the list of talks will only be finalized in the weeks preceding the meeting.
Conference SeriesThis event is the continuation of a sequence of conferences on integrability and gauge/string duality begun in 2005.
- 2005: Summer Institute, ENS Paris
- 2006: int06 Workshop, AEI Potsdam
- 2007: 12th Claude Itzykson Meeting, Saclay/ENS Paris
- 2008: IGST08 Workshop, Universiteit Utrecht
- 2009: int09 Conference, AEI Potsdam
- 2010: IGST10 Conference, NORDITA Stockholm
- 2011: IGST11 Conference, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
- 2012: int12 Conference, ETH Zürich
- 2013: IGST13 Conference, Universiteit Utrecht
- 2014: IGST14 Conference, DESY Hamburg
- 2015: IGST15 Conference, King's College London
- 2016: IGST16 Conference, HU Berlin